In this article you will learn about the rich Vitamin A foods but before that here is an overview of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is an organic compound crucial for normal growth required by the body in small amounts. It is fat soluble and found in both animal food sources as well as plant food sources but in different forms, preformed Vitamin A and pro-vitamin A.
Preformed vitamin A is found in animal products including chicken, fish, meat and dairy products. It is called the active form of the vitamin a, which means our body does not need to process or alter it, preformed vitamin can be used by our body just as it is.
Provitamin A is also known as carotenoids which include alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin . These carotenoids when consumed are converted to active form in the body and thus are called inactive form.
Health Benefits of Vitamin A:
Sufficient amount of vitamin a in our body is responsible for stronger immunity system, protection from night blindness, lower risk of some types of cancer, lower risk of acne, optimal growth and reproduction,and stronger bones.
How Much Vitamin A is Sufficient OR Required:
According to National Institute of Health Recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for males aging 14 to 51+ years is 900 mcg RAE and for womens aging 14 to 51+ years 700 mcg RAE. The following table list all the RDA values according to different age ranges and conditions.
|0-6 months*||400 mcg RAE||400 mcg RAE|
|7-12 months*||500 mcg RAE||500 mcg RAE|
|1-3 years||300 mcg RAE||300 mcg RAE|
|4-8 years||400 mcg RAE||400 mcg RAE|
|9-13 years||600 mcg RAE||600 mcg RAE|
|14-18 years||900 mcg RAE||700 mcg RAE||750 mcg RAE||1200 mcg RAE|
|19-50 years||900 mcg RAE||700 mcg RAE||770 mcg RAE||1300 mcg RAE|
|51+ years||900 mcg RAE||700 mcg RAE|
Vitamin A Recommended dietary allowance(RDA) is measured in mcg of retinol activity equivalents (RAE). Active form of Vitamin A also know as retinol and only found in animal food sources, Provitamin A the in-active form is found mostly in vegetables and fruits. Following is the list of food sources which contains high amount of Vitamin A.
- Fish Oil, cod Liver 100 grams: 30,000 mcg RAE (3333% DV).
- Veal, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised 100 grams: 21,145 mcg RAE (2349.4% DV).
- Duck, domesticated, liver, raw 100 grams: 11984 mcg RAE(1331% DV).
- Turkey, all classes, liver, cooked, simmered 100 grams: 10751 mcg RAE(1194% DV).
- Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised 100 grams: 9442 mcg RAE(1049% DV).
- Goose, liver, raw 100 grams: 9309 mcg RAE(1034% DV).
- Liver sausage 100 grams: 8308 mcg RAE(923% DV).
- Lamb 100 grams: 7782 mcg RAE(864% DV).
- Beverages, Orange-flavor drink, breakfast type, low calorie, powder 100 grams: 6006 mcg RAE(667% DV).
- Beverages, fruit-flavored drink, powder, with high vitamin C with other added vitamins, low calorie 100 grams: 5997 mcg RAE(666.3% DV).
Recommended For You: